Tuesday, January 21, 2014

58 days til spring

and it's snowing AGAIN! Yes, it's pretty, but ... old.

I am ready to do some snow dyeing later today after some more snow falls. I have been participating in Elizabeth Barton's class, Dyeing to Design, through Academy of Quilting. I have seven bottles of dye already mixed and have been dyeing some fabrics for a new piece. Elizabeth says that dyes will keep in the fridge for a long time. That has not been my experience, but I am willing to give it a try during this class. It is handy to have the dyes ready when you are ready.

The first lesson in this class was about value. We dyed an eight step gradation of black and then were to make a small quilt using just those fabrics. Here is my gradation (made from a mix of three black dyes - I did not have enough of any one black).



And here's the quilt I made from the gradation. I like it, but may add some more paint on the heron. It's about 10" x 18".

 
I hope you are staying warm and cozy in this crazy weather, as someone on another blog referred to it as "overzealous" weather. Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment