Thursday, January 9, 2014

Ah, a new year

Okay, so I am a bit late here on the 9th. I hope your new year will bring you happiness and great creativity.

I'm not one for making resolutions, but I like the idea of having a word or a phrase as a theme for the year. I have bounced around many options -- lighten up, bloom, listen, explore, Yes!, clarity, grow. The one phrase that keeps coming up in my morning pages is "live out loud". It fits. It can have many meanings and can change during the year. Right now, it's about being true to who I am, doing what work calls to me, living fully and especially getting out from under that bushel basket. Time to let the world get to know me better. That is, right after I get to know me better.

Abigail and I started the new year together. We played all day on NYEve, going to the Visionary Arts Museum, having a very yummy lunch at our favorite Paper Moon Diner, having dinner at the monastery (where everyone was so pleased to see her), stopping at her home to see Mom and Dad (their request), then home to get warm and cozy and watch a DVD. The Paper Moon is a funky diner in Baltimore with a great menu. The exterior and interior are decorated with all sorts of stuff hanging from the ceiling, glued down to the walls, stuck on every inch of available surface. Here's the outside, notice the flower containers.



And here's the ceiling:


In the midst of our fun, we also shopped for a pattern for her prom dress so she could make a 'practice dress' of muslin. We had to improvise a bit since no one pattern met her idea. Abigail did most of the work - it's been a while since she used the sewing machine, but we skipped the zipper.


I think she will be the belle of the ball!

On another front, I just started an on-line class, Dyeing to Design, with Elizabeth Barton through the Academy of Quilting (they have filled the void since QU closed). The first lesson included dyeing a 8-step gradation of black. It was a challenge to keep the dyeing pots warm as we were in the grip of the Polar Vortex - my apartment never got above 64 degrees. The gradation looks good. I  like the mottled effect.


A funny note: we've had a good bit of snow in the past month, just perfect for some snow dyeing which totally slipped my mind until all the snow had melted. Maybe if we get more snow, not that I want that. Enough is enough for me.

With the Vortex gone, I did get out yesterday and today to walk. After those single digit temps, 26 degrees was a piece of cake.

Enough for today. I hope to blog more, I'll try. Thanks for sticking with me. I just wish there was a blog site that could read my mind in the shower.

Did you make any resolutions? Do you choose a word for the year? Share if you like. Stay warm and safe,  Karen




No comments:

Post a Comment