Monday, September 14, 2015

70 and Counting

Yes, it's been a long time between postings. I hope to be more attentive in this new year -- my new year.  Ten days ago, I celebrated my 70th birthday, complete with purple hair. 
It was temporary and I have a lot of the stuff, so I can experiment more. It was interesting how many strangers came up to me with compliments. Fun, fun, fun - which is what birthdays should be.

As I was reviewing my life and thinking what is next, I decided I needed a project that could run throughout this new year. "70 and Counting" was born. My intention with this project is to create at least 70 unique pieces of fabric through dyeing, printing, discharging, overdyeing and all other methods I can play with. My intention is to document all my efforts and to blog twice a week. One reason for this effort is to use the many techniques that I have tried or learned in classes or read about in books and magazines. You might know the routine: take a class, get all excited with the learning process, return to reality where life crowds our time. So, as one of my chocolate wrappers says "What are you waiting for?" Here I go.


 
In Week One, I focused on greens using turquoise and sun yellow, dyeing four small pieces, 12" x 21". One, an arashi wrap on a medium pole, turned out nicely. The other three turned out weak and boring - to be addressed in Week Two. I feel a bit out of practice with these dyes.

More later this week. Yes, I realize that a lot needs updating on this blog -- soon. Enjoy the lovely September weather.
 Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment