Saturday, September 19, 2015

Results from Week One and Two

In Week Two, I took my 'blahs' from Week One and played with them. 

This was first dyed flat in a shoebox by squirting turquoise and sun yellow all around. It was okay-ish, but not enough texture. So ...

I decorated it with Elmer's blue gel glue and let it dry. I did shapes, squiggles, letters and dots and lines. It took a while to cover this 12" x 21" piece of fabric. Actually it became rather meditative. It took a good while to dry.


I brushed on thickened indigo dye (dye with print paste) and let it dry. After drying and rinsing, I got more texture and interesting shapes. Nice, but I need to run it through the washer to get the rest of the glue out.

Number 3 started as an ice dye. I expected interesting results just like all my ice dyes in the past. However, it came out quite blah. The dye powder may have been too old, who knows. So I scrunched it into a stocking toe and steeped it in indigo dye. 

I am happier with the results - more texture and actually more green than this photo (the camera insisted on blue.) I have been working on greens to take to an October workshop with Susan Carlson.

This one started folded up and bound with rubber bands in turquoise dye. After a bit, I unfolded it and folded it differently, then poured on sun yellow dye and waited. Not at all what I hoped for. A bit boring. This may have been a subconscious piece -- I have been dealing with some neck problems this year and going to physical therapy. Some of these shapes remind me of my vertebrae that are suffering with arthritis.

Thanks for reading. More to come.
Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment