Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Week Three

Parfait time. Not with calories, but an exercise from Ann Johnston's book, Color by Accident. Using a plastic pretzel barrel container, I began by pouring sun yellow dye solution on one piece of fabric. 


After that batched for a while, I poured soda ash as fixative, waited just a bit, then scrunched a second piece of fabric on top and added mixing red dye solution. 


After waiting a bit, it was time for more soda ash, then turquoise dye solution and a final dose of soda ash. I let it batch for a few hours before rinsing and rinsing. Nice. I want to repeat this with another trio of dyes.

My last piece for Week Three was an ice dye. I used a set-up that I saw somewhere on the internet using a plastic colander to hold the fabric, ice and dyes placed in a large bowl. This works best for smaller pieces of fabric. I used kelly green, cobalt blue, strong orange and violet. Looks lovely. 

Ice dyes usually surprise me in nice ways. The next time I repeat this, I'll take a photo of the set-up.

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you want to try.
Karen



No comments:

Post a Comment