Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A couple splendid days

Last week was mostly spent on the Eastern Shore. I spent two days with my friend Peg, just relaxing and catching up. We went out to breakfast one morning and had omelettes with wonderful home fries. Home fries are not, I repeat not, hash browns. Home fries have crunchy edges and are never mushy. So good.

My next three days were spent visiting my favorite spots on Chincoteague Island, VA, especially at the Wildlife Refuge. Yes, I have written about it before - it is one of my most favorite places on this earth. The Refuge is kept in a natural state and has very little human touches. Spring is always exciting there. The egrets and great blue herons return from wherever they were during winter. Hundreds of egrets were everywhere in the Refuge. I saw these egrets feeding Saturday evening on the wildlife loop. I was close enough to hear them, they sound a bit like a bullfrog, deep and low.
As I rounded the loop, I saw three Sika deer romping across the marsh. These are smaller deer that thrive on the island.


My favorite photo from Sunday is of this mature great blue heron. He was standing on one leg for a couple hours. One of my favorite critters on this earth.

Friday night was cloudy, windy and chilly but provided dramatic sky views and a long sunset.


After visiting my favorite homemade ice cream place, I headed home feeling fed by nature and started counting the days until I return in May. I was struck by all the different greens I saw while driving, but the camera was in the back seat, so no photos. Spring provides such a huge palette of greens, not easy to pick a favorite.

Now I am in catch-up mode: paperwork, some applications to complete, baking for the Easter festivities, straightening out the credit card debacle, etc., etc. Hope to sew Saturday.

Do you have a favorite place in nature that feeds you? When were you last there?

Thanks for reading,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment