Friday, March 23, 2012

What a week!

This was an anniversary week. It's been twenty years since I left corporate America to do art full time and earn a living at it. The good news is that it worked - I've never been a starving artist - and I have had a wonderful time in these years.

My first bunch of years was spent doing calligraphy full time and lots of craft shows up and down the East Coast. I had some specialty items that were custom orders and led me to meet many wonderful families. Along the way, I added watercolor painting to my lettering and sold paintings as well. Then this voice kept saying 'paint large,  on canvas with acrylics'. Even  though I put a lot of energy into resisting, I finally began that new chapter of making huge paintings in the shape of tapestries.

Then I moved to the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland and joined some women who gathered each week in the local quilting shop.  I was crocheting blankets for Project Linus as they sewed and quilted. And then I got hooked ... as they say, the rest is history. I returned to my first love - fabric.

I had intended to celebrate this anniversary somehow, but on Tuesday afternoon I turned and bent in the wrong way trying to help Bella and Shazamm! my lower back  went into a horrible spasm that has taken over the week. Knowing this was muscular, I saw my acupuncturist and got some relief. Since then, I've slept a lot and have just had to take care of me by going slowly. Today I have been vertical without pain, but still get tired quickly. All my plans of sewing has been put on hold.

Sometimes, we just have to go with the flow and pay attention to what is happening in our bodies.

I sure hope that I can do something tomorrow. I am bored with doing nothing.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment