Tuesday, May 29, 2012

QSDS Day 1

Yesterday was Day 1 of Cynthia Corbin's class New Directions. She is a lovely teacher who knows how to push us, which this class is all about.

The  first exercise started with her asking us to pick and put on the design wall our favorite and least favorite fabrics of the day. The next step was to choose a photo and use our fav of the day to create a version of that photo. Here are my two fabrics - the fav on the left and the least fav on the right.

The goal was to work fast but in our comfort zones. My photo was of a landscape with a mountain and river. I was not very pleased with this first effort.

After lunch, we were to use the least favorite fabric and do a second version of the same photo but taking it a step further. I like this version better.

Tuesday morning, Cynthia asked us to choose three fabrics that do not go together and put them on the design wall (we each had a 4' x 8' design wall for our use - really nice). Here are my three that do not play together well.

The morning exercise was to use all three and create quickly and break all our rules. I loved the process. I wound up with two pieces, neither very exciting.

In the afternoon, we were to find an element from the morning piece and use the design of that element to create a new piece OR we could continue to work something from the morning. I chose the second option and came up with these pieces. I don't know where they are going, but it will be fun.

Soon, it will be time for bed. My suite-mates are all three taking a class with Jane Dunnewold on surface design similar to the class I took two years ago. So, we have lots to talk about.

Thanks for reading,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment