Monday, July 23, 2012

Trees and roots

Here's a bit of catch-up from the past few weeks.

While at QSDS, I sketched a few tree designs. I'm wanting to express some thoughts about rootedness by creating trees. The best sketch of those became the start for this new piece. It's larger than recent things and, of course, has a life of its own.

Living with the sketch, I began to put together layers of ground fabrics. It just kept getting bigger.

The original piece of hand dyed that I had for the sky was not large enough. So, I pieced two similar pieces to a strip down the center to get more height and width.

Here's the full size sketch against the fabric.

On a trip to Patches, a Mt. Airy quilt shop, right before the guild meeting across the street, I found several fabrics for the center tree - a gorgeous Stonehenge. Got that center tree raw edged sewn down, stood back and deflated a bit. The roots sorta blend in with the ground - not what I want. So, right now I keep looking at it for answers about how to emphasize the roots. Any ideas are welcomed.

I do like the depth created by the other trees.

Back  at Camp Mimi with Abigail,  today was a slow day. We slept late, lazed around, went to lunch with a friend and took Sam the Singer into the shop. We did get the apron pattern cut out so it's ready to go on Wednesday using the small Janome. I withheld dinner until she practiced some on that machine, just to stay in the mood. What a meanie I am!

This afternoon ended with a phone call from a guy I went to high school with - he is one of the committee that is organizing the 50th reunion of our high school graduation. Egads! And they all want a decision and money now for the event next June. It's too hot to make such a decision now.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment