Saturday, January 21, 2012

Iced in

Winter came last night and dumped a bit of snow and too much ice. I'm happy to be inside and warm, even though I probably won't get to the SAQA meeting today. It took one of my neighbors over half an hour to chip away the ice and get up the hill out of our driveway. I think I'll wait for warming.

Last night I went to an opening of two exhibits at the Carroll Arts Council here in Westminster. My friend Donna Yarish had several of her abstract paintings in one exhibit - they were bold and colorful and exciting. You would not know that she is fairly new to painting - she has found her niche.

One of the other artists was a man who had moved to the US from Colombia a year ago. Fernando Alvarez does these vibrant, sensuous paintings, mostly still life and landscape, that brought a smile to my heart. All his paintings are full of life and joy, even when the subject is a tomato. I want to go back and maybe take some photos to share (he doesn't have a blog or website).

I came home with a full heart and a smile on my face. Balances out this ice mess.  Now I need to finish quilting my trees.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment