Monday, October 31, 2011

Choosing Happy

This week brings the one year anniversary of my move to Westminster and my cozy home here. I had moved in September to an apartment I thought would work well, but very, very soon, it all turned sour and difficult. Something told me to save all the boxes as I unpacked them. Good thing, because I moved again in less than six weeks. That experience was the final blow in a very stressful year. Quickly, I found this delightful place to live, moved and settled in.

A week later, I took a workshop on story quilts with Mary Lou Weidman and began having fun again as I designed and sewed my new shower curtain called 'Home At Last'.
Notice my creative flower garden, my hot cowgirl boots (I asked for cowgirl boots every year as a child), and my curly blond hair. It's fun to walk into the bathroom every morning and smile at the colors, patterns and my new year.

I almost did not take the workshop, thinking I should get unpacked and settled in my new home, but a little voice in me told me to go have some fun. And I did. Looking back on this past year, I can see more and more times that I chose to do what would bring me joy and laughter. I chose to be happy. It is a choice that we all have over and over. It's easy, especially in these trying times, to let the world bring us down, but we must look for the beauty, embrace the joy and live out loud in happiness. As Roger Miller said many years ago, 'you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to, just knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it.'

Where will you find happiness today?

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment