Friday, June 1, 2012

Days Four and Five

Here I am in my dorm room. The first class is completed, we had the banquet and tomorrow starts class two for me.

Our last two days in class this week were spent on our final project, which could be one well-thought-out project or several studies for a series or later project. I was somewhere in the middle. I thought and thought about what I wanted to do. The abstract work we had been doing just did not feel right for me. I chose not to stay in that vein, but was not sure what to do next. A dilemna of sorts for me.

I have let too many things bother me during the past few months and my confidence level was sub-basement. No need to go into all that, just to say I felt empty and numb on some levels, especially when creativity was involved. Nothing seemed to click or blossom. As I wondered about what to do for the final project, I briefly thought about the series of paintings that I did years ago entitled "The Rivers of Prayer". I have been asked to create a banner in the style of those paintings. I thought I was finished with that theme and those images. Well, through a series of synchronicities, I realized I still had thoughts and images to develop in that theme. And I became energized to do some new work. I began a small piece as one of a series that could lead to the banner and all sorts of things clicked inside me. Here is where the project was Thursday afternoon, with roots and a river. I added the sprouted leaves and the moon to finish it (photo to come).

My energy shifted quite quickly and all sorts of ideas began to flow in me for new work, including an abstract way to depict a photo I had brought with me to QSDS.

So, obviously, I am not finished with this series, The Rivers of Prayer. I got so caught up in the work, finishing the first and starting the second, that I forgot to take photos (I'll try tomorrow).

When our instructor asked what I discovered during the project, I simply answered "my confidence". A true gift for which I am very grateful.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment