Saturday, November 5, 2011

Where the deer and the horses play

I know I was only away for 36 hours, but I feel so full that it seems like days. My Thursday began with this marvelous sunrise ...
It was an easy and quick drive to Delaware. My first stop was at Serendipity Quilt Shop in Dagsboro. If you are a quilter and you go 'down the ocean', you have to stop there. It's a delight to visit there. I was only going to get some 505 basting spray, but some  fabrics called my name. Then I headed up to visit with my friends Peg and Neil. Peg's in round two of chemo and I was so pleased to see how good she looks right now. Prayers always help with the healing. We gabbed and caught up on some TV and I sewed on two bindings. A great visit.

Then I was torn between just visiting Assateague National Seashore or spending a night at Chincoteague. Well, the weather helped me decide. It was getting colder and very, very windy. But I needed to see the ocean in a natural state -- without buildings and clutter. So, I decided on Assateague. Just driving down the highway that leads to the parks felt joyful. These trees jumped out and called to be in something one day. Something about a path ...

For now, I'll settle on several photos. As I drove into the park, the critters appeared ...

The wild ponies live all over Assateague Island, but only roam freely on the north end.  In the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge, the ponies are fenced in to protect us and them. On Friday, I saw only a couple. I think they had more sense to stay in the woods and avoid the high winds. I had to walk out on this walkway and at least see the ocean for a few minutes. And that's all I could do. The wind was so strong, I could hardly stand up. You can see the sand whipping up over the boardwalk here.

And the surf

When I got back in my car, I was surprised to find sand inside my socks. Way too windy for me, but not for some hardier souls in a tent yet. 
I wasn't there very long and I didn't get to walk along the water's edge, but I felt blessed by nature, by the ocean, by its rawness, by the power of the wind. As I drove home, I was filled with gratitude for the whole visit. And I'll be back ...

What are you grateful for today? Make a list and give thanks.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment